This owl was found at a recycling facility in Everett. He appears to have suffered some trauma and then was poisoned. He basically has three strikes against him - but, we are doing everything we can to help him.
We suspect he hit something (maybe a car) and has damaged his left eye and swelling in the left foot. He was discovered on the ground eating a rat that had been poisoned. Sadly, he was severely emaciated as well, so it is likely he was having trouble hunting due to the injuries - and feasting on poisoned rats was easy prey.
Through some sleuthing, we were able to reach out to the recycling facilty and then contact the pest management company. Knowing which poison he ingested is helpful in determining the course of treatment. The rat was poisoned with bromadiolone - which has a half life of 170 days - so, if he survives, he will be here quite a while.
PLEASE opt for rodent control methods that do not use poisons. It may be faster and easier, but, our wildlife population become victims of this poisoning and many die. Please see our Facebook page for more photos. Status - euthanized. The trauma to the left leg/foot was not something that could be saved. Once he stablized enough to be x-rayed, we discovered that the pelvis and femur were severely dislocated and abcessed. Our vet opened up the site to see if a surgical repair was possible, and sadly it was not.